Sleep consulting is a booming industry. As the number of practicing sleep consultants grows, so do your options. It may seem daunting to find the best sleep consultant to help your baby or young child sleep. There are no regulations on sleep consultants, so do some research on them, or the company they are working with, before you decide to go with someone.
What is the sleep consultant’s background?
- Would you rather talk to a person with a health science degree? Or, would you prefer to talk to someone who is a mum went through the same situation where you are right now with a health professional background?
- Having a registered health professional background will give you that depth, with them looking for many things that can be affecting your child’s sleep. As an over 10 years’ experience registered pharmacist, there have been many occasions where I have recognised that there is more to a sleep issue that just sleep strategies and techniques eg snoring, reflux, feeding issue, allergy, parents’ mental health etc.
- My early days of motherhood were exhausting. I would spend hours rocking, holding and feeding my son to try and settle him for naps and night-time sleeps. My little miracle and my family were suffering from this sleep deprivation. It seemed to be the source of all our problems. One of the best decisions I ever made, was hiring a sleep consultant. It changed mine, my family’s and most importantly, my little one’s sleeping habits that have been better ever since.
- There is no manual to motherhood, which is why it’s one of the hardest jobs ever. Each baby is uniquely created and requires unique parenting. You are not a bad parent for seeking help.
What is their background of professional philosophy on sleep?
- Each sleep consultant has a professional philosophy on sleep that guides their practice. It is important to find someone with their professional philosophy is unbiased, non-judgmental, and supportive of your parenting approach.
Does the sleep consultant seem caring and compassionate?
- The sleep consultant should care about you and your baby, listen to your concerns with open mind not just in the results. If they simply want to bark orders at you without offering a listening ear, you might end up feeling like they aren’t truly in tune with your family’s needs.
Where do they completed their certification of sleep consultant?
- By selecting a sleep consultant who has gone through a certification program, you’ll ensure they are knowledgeable in evidence-based methods rather than just relying on their own personal non-scientific based approach.
What are the other happy clients said about the sleep consultant?
- You need to pay attention to what others are saying about this particular sleep consultant. Does the sleep consultant have others to vouch for him or her? Make sure they are realistic testimonials ,not all should be something that anyone could make up.
- How did they feel during the sleep program ? A real testimonial will have many emotions in it as this is their real feeling how have they been treated by a open minded, caring and understanding sleep consultant.
What is their aftercare service?
- Your baby will go through so many growth spurts throughout his or her path to becoming a toddler. Sleep regressions can occur at 4 months, 8 to 10 months, 12 months, 18 months and 2 years. Usually, this sleep regression is attributed to cognitive and physical development. These sleep regressions can last anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks and the 8to 10-month one can be the worst.
- Are you able to be in touch with your sleep consultant how can you sail through the sleep regression?
- Or your baby needs to start attending childcare and will your sleep consultant is able to continue to teach to make a tweak to your baby’s routine if it is out norm routine?
- All my previous existing clients who have hired me for the customised 1:1 sleep program will be continue to learn more about baby’s sleep science in my private group. My mission is to educate and help parents gain the confidence and knowledge to teach your little one to sleep well. I am extremely passionate about what I do and strive to work together with you to achieve your parenting goals.
It’s important to feel comfortable with the sleep consultant that you choose. Choose a baby sleep consultant that takes into consideration your personal beliefs, who understands your child’s temperament and your parenting style. Check out their qualifications and experience.
If you want to know more my certification, my background, my personal sleep deprived history, and of course if you want to see any of my personal packages you can search it on my website. If you want to know more about me hop on Facebook / Instagram, or shoot me an email.