The Most Dreaded 4 Months Sleep Regression Every Mum Hated
I don’t like the word “REgression” instead I would call this as a “PROgression”
This is the most dreadful parents’ experience. This sometimes can last for few months if your little miracle has not developed the skill of self-settling.
When is it going to end?
Why the sleep becomes worse than before?
4-5 months old babies undergo incredible amount of physical & mental development. They are able to produce enough sleep hormone Melatonin which allows them to adapt to a 24 hours cycle. Changes in sleep are caused by a biological change in the way a little miracle sleeps at this age rather than a regression. Sleep begins to mature.
This is the first sleep regression, and it is often the hardest for parents to cope. That is why every parent is so aware of the 4 months sleep regression and paranoid about it.
Sleep regressions are temporary and completely normal for little miracles as they often coincide with developmental milestones, like a growth spurt or brain development.
Little miracle’s brain is constantly evolving as it adapts to its new environment and begins to learn new skills especially rolling over. Little miracle’s sleep pattern can be affected due to those time of learning can frustrate your little miracle’s sleep.
However, sleep regression is only TEMPORARY and shall pass if you take it as an opportunity to teach your little miracle’s healthy sleep habits with the tweak of routine, milk intake, age appropriate awake time and the little miracle can sense your presence to support them. Trust your little miracle and he/she can amaze you the ability of learning!
This is the time your little miracle’s sleep pattern changes; it starts shifting back and forth from deep sleep to light sleep and much like an adult’s sleep pattern. You will feel like you take one step forward and two steps backward.
This is the time to do some changes to your little miracle’s sleep:
- Stick to an age-appropriate routine. Consistency is important because it helps children learn what to expect. Babies feel comforted by routines, and they feel safe when they can anticipate what will happen next.
- Set up longer wind down ritual before bedtime- having the same steps same order every evening helps to guide your little miracle set up the positive sleep association.
- It is time to teach your little miracle self-settle skill which he can sleeps independently in an awake state without your actively assistance. If you have previously fed, held, patted, or bounced your baby to sleep, this is when you may find it is no longer working as well as it was. Simply because once your baby reaches 3-4 months of age, your little one is more aware of their surroundings and therefore will wake up more frequently to check the environment in which they fell asleep.
- Make sure the sleep environment in a cool dark room so that the production of sleep hormone can help your little miracle fall asleep quicker and stay asleep longer
- Continue the white noise as this is a great positive sleep association that can send message to your little miracle’s that it is time to sleep. This also can help your baby to link the sleep cycles and stay asleep longer than 45 minutes.
- By getting your little miracle to bed at an appropriate time, in line with their wake window, they are likely to have a more restful night with fewer wakings. When children are overtired, many times, it often results in frequent night wakings and early rising. The key to choosing the right bedtime is dependent on the time the last nap ends.
How are you doing in this 4-month sleep PROgression?